If you are only here for a short while to explore real estate options, this two-day itinerary will allow you to get to know this city we call home.
Note: The best time to go to Bayfield
To fully appreciate the culture and nature of Bayfield, we highly recommend visiting during the summer or fall, but don’t discount our winter wonderland!
Day 1 – Arrival
- 9 AM: Start the tour to the area by visiting the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center, the first Travel Green Wisconsin-certified establishment in the itinerary. Get some maps to understand the lay of the land. While you are here, check out the observation tower or head outside and explore the center’s trail system.From here, you can continue on to Whittlesey Creek National Wildlife RefugeOR cut the trip to the center short and proceed to the next activity.
- 11 AM: With a map on hand, it is time to see the some of the sights. Check out Houghton Falls State Natural Area. Stop by Friendly Valley Beach and Bayview Beach and dig your toes in the sand.
- 1 PM: Time for a late lunch. There are plenty of options to choose from, including the Fat Radish, Pier Plaza, and Manypenny Bistro, just to name a few.
- 4 PM: End today’s adventures with some down time at the Bayfield Maritime Museum. It is open until 4 PM from Sunday to Thursday and until 7 PM on Friday and Saturday. Here, you will learn everything there is to know about Bayfield’s maritime heritage− all 163 years of it.
- 6 PM: Make your way to your lodging in Bayfield. If you have yet to make a booking, there are several outstanding accommodations in the city. Check out Windseeker Rentals for availability for some great vacation rental options.
- 9 AM: After breakfast, it is time to visit Bayfield’s most popular tourist destination, the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, located just off the coast of Bayfield. Book a guided kayak trip ahead of your stay with either Trek & Trail in Bayfield or Lost Creek Adventures in Cornucopia. Or check out Apostle Islands Cruise Services and their Grand Tour for a great overview.
- 1pm: Head over to Madeline Island on the Madeline Island Ferry Lineand grab lunch at one of the many dining options in the island, such as Grampa Tony’s, Cafe Seiche, Farmhouse, orthe Pub Restaurant, then grab a cup of joe at Mission Hill Coffee House.After lunch, explore more of what Madeline Island has to offer. You can shop for trinkets and souvenirs, or just soak the sun before you head back to Bayfield.
- 5 PM: It’s time to head back to the mainland. Board the ferry, and check out the great dining options in Bayfield before you retire to your lodging. You have been out all day. You deserve to rest. Tomorrow, it’s a new adventure.
Day 3 – Departure
- 9 AM: That is two full days experiencing the sights and local life in Bayfield. Before you head back home, you have the option to make a side trip to Kickapoo Coffee for some local brews, pick up outdoor gear for your next visit to Bayfield, and visit a bookstore to find a good book such as What Goes ‘Round, which sells pre-loved books.
Time to make Bayfield your home
We hope you had a dazzling 48 hours in Bayfield, just enough to make you fall in love with the city and leave you wanting more. To explore more homes for sale in Bayfield and on the Bayfield Peninsula, browse our website for the latest listings or contact us today.