If you are in the midst of planning a romantic weekend getaway in Wisconsin, scroll down below to see some of our recommendations.
Bayfield is not without romantic charms. One may even argue that Bayfield is an ideal setting for a romance movie or novel, with its gorgeous coastal setting and small-town appeal. It is also worth noting that some of the most romantic spots are closer to home.
Activities in Bayfield for a romantic weekend:
- Take a private cruise on Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. There are many local outfitters that offer rides or charter sailboats. Pack some wine, cheese, and cold cuts, then head out before the sun sets for a spectacle in the sky. Check out Bayfield.org for recommendations.
- Experience stunning views and luxury at Old Rittenhouse Inn, Wisconsin’s first Country Inn and gourmet restaurant offering 20 guest rooms in 2 Victorian homes and a private cottage.
From Bayfield, head South on State Highway 13 and enjoy the scenic views along the way.
Activities in Washburn for a romantic weekend:
- Pack a picnic and check out the great sandy beaches along the way. Bayview Beach and Friendly Valley beach. Stroll down the beach as the sun sets and feel the sand between your toes as the waves gently crash on the beach.
- Head South of Bayfield to Houghton Falls State Natural Area. An easy hike through the woods and along the falls to the waterfront. Sit on the Brownstone ledge and watch the ships sail by.
- Make a reservation at Good Thyme Restaurant & Catering. Enjoy a glass of wine and a spectacular meal. You won’t be disappointed!
From Bayfield, head to the Madeline Island Ferry landing at the end of Washington Avenue. Take the Ferry across Lake Superior and get ready to explore!
Activities on Madeline Island for a romantic weekend:
- Head over to Madeline Island and go on a nature hike in Big Bay State Park. Keep the pace relaxed and pack a nice picnic to enjoy once you and your partner find a lovely spot.
- Rent a scooter and explore the 14 miles long by 3 miles wide Island. There are miles of sandy beaches or trek the hiking trails in the Town Park. Don’t be in a rush for any of your activities and enjoy Island time.
- Picnic at the beach. Check out Joni’s Beach. Just 2 blocks from the ferry landing, Joni’s beach includes a sheltered picnic area. There are a dock and a beautiful sandy beach. Watch the ferries come and go as you enjoy a picnic on the beach and sink your toes in the sand.