Looking for activities in Bayfield that you can enjoy with the entire family? We’ve got you covered. Our family-friendly to-do list will give you a head start on your planning:
- Experience Lake SuperiorThe best thing about Bayfield is its majestic outdoors, top-billed by the greatest of the Great Lakes — Lake Superior.
There are so many things to do on the lake’s South Shore, a whole weekend won’t be enough to cover all the possibilities. Catch a few rays or go for a swim. Hop on a canoe, kayak, fishing. Cast a reel for trout, salmon, or whitefish. If your kids are of age, you can go scuba diving to the sites of scenic shipwrecks.
The shoreline and its surrounding areas also offer breezy picnic areas and campsites. A weekend camp out is a wonderful way to encourage kids to immerse in and appreciate nature.
- Tour the Apostle IslandsExplore the islands via one of Bayfield’s many tour vessels that dot the harbor area. Madeline Island, just 20 attributes away to the east, has myriad adventures in store for you. The island has everything from biking and hiking trails, to campsites, to a designer golf course (and a mini-golf course, too), to a wide range of shopping and dining delights.
Going farther north takes you around the other 21 Apostle Islands. Narrated cruises offer soothing and informative entertainment as you pass by scenic lakescape views. At the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Headquarters, kids can learn how to become junior scout rangers.
- Trek the trailsDon’t miss Bay-field’s hike trails. With 40 of them to choose from, there’s sure to be at least one that can accommodate even the youngest member of your family.
Adventures abound at these trails all year round. Admire the picturesque scenery and watch wildlife during the warmer months, or go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing in the winter. Either way, you’ll discover all the natural wonders that make Hayfield incomparable when it comes to outdoor recreation.
If this already sounds like a lot of fun, remember that we haven’t even mentioned the similarly numerous and must-try biking trails!
- Pick berriesMake the most out of being in the “Berry Capital of Wisconsin.” Kids will have a blast roaming -verdant berry fields and filling bucketsful of the juiciest fruits The summer months offer a choice of cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and every kind of berry you can imagine. Autumn in Bay-field means rolling orchards heavy with apples, and fields gone orange with pumpkins and squash all ripe for the picking.
- Attend a local festivalTime your visit to coincide with one of Bayfield’s seasonal festivals. The Bayfield Apple Festival, which has been celebrated for 50 years, happens in the fall. A tribute to Bayfield’s rich agricultural heritage, the event showcases apple pie and dessert-making contests, free food tasting, and carnival games and rides. In spring, there’s the colorful “Bayfield in Bloom” fest; fireworks dazzle at the Memorial Park during the Fourth of July; and a slew of merrymaking activities light up Bayfield’s Hometown Holiday Season.